In the following pages we’ll look more in depth at a lot of these topics, but here are the quick basics:
- Don’t touch the hair of your bow with your hands (sweat and oil will create dead spots on the hair)
- Loosen the bow hair when you are done for the day, so that there isn’t constant tension on the bow.
- Wipe the rosin off the strings, instrument, and bow stick when you’re packing up for the day.
- Keep an eye on the bridge to keep it straight and prevent warping.
- Don’t leave your instrument in a car or outdoors (for temperature and safety reasons)
- Keep an eye on the humidity, and use a humidifier in dry seasons and climates. 40-60% humidity is ideal.