If your string breaks, or if you’re ready to change all of your strings, here are some pointers to doing it successfully.
- It’s best to change one at a time.
- While you have the old string off, take a second and clean the rosin build up off of the fingerboard with a dry cloth.
- Take a pencil, and apply a little bit of the graphite to the string groove on the bridge and the nut (this will keep it smooth, and reduce the grinding of the string)
- When winding the peg, try to get the string pinched up against the pegbox wall (this will create some friction and reduce slipping)
- Don’t forget to push the peg into the pegbox while you’re turning.